Who We Are
Albany Maritime Ministry is an ecumenical group of volunteers who welcome seafarers that dock in the Capital District of upstate New York. Our hub is located at the Seafarer Center in the Port of Albany.
Most of the seafarers we meet have been at sea for many months. They face numerous challenges, including separation from family, isolation, hard labor, piracy, dangerous weather and human rights violations. We attempt to offer relief by:
- Addressing their spiritual, family and material needs.
- Advocating for their rights.
- Collaborating with related agencies, worldwide.
- Offering special programs and services, such as Christmas at Sea.
- Welcoming them on their ship when they cannot come ashore.
Albany Maritime Ministry was incorporated as a non-profit 501(c)(3) entity in 1996.
We are available to speak about the plight of the seafarer and positive impact of our ministry at churches and organizations in the Capital District.
Christmas at Sea
During the Christmas season, we join a worldwide Christmas at Sea program that collects gifts from area churches and distributes them to seafarers. The picture below shows a volunteer delivering gifts to those who were unable to leave their ship.